[Qgis-developer] [GRASS-dev] QGIS GRASS Plugin Upgrade Crowdfunding

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:57:09 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 19/05/2015 12:15, Radim Blazek ha scritto:
>
>> It is intention, since the browser very beginning. The idea is that
>> the directories should not be hidden from users even if representing
>> specific provider data structure. For example, the user may want to
>> open a dbf table from GRASS location using OGR provider. Do you have
>> suggestions how represent GRASS locations better in the browser?
>
> I see: in fact the folders are displayed, which is confusing, but the
> content is filtered (only readable files, like dbf), so the solution
> seems the best one, in fact.
> I noticed that one can add grass data from the browser, but to use the
> toolbox one should open a location

Yes. When a source is dragged to a GRASS mapset in the browser, the
target mapset is known. When modules are run in the toolbox, we must
get somehow info about location/mapset the module should be run
within. That is why a mapset must be open. Any idea how to do it
better?
Note also that the packages 1) and 2) which go to QGIS 2.10 do not
cover plugin tools, that is left for QGIS 2.12.

> Moreover:
> * should the "add vector" and raster buttons be removed from the toolbox?

I would like to remove them, but I am not sure if there is general
consensus on it. We have still "add layer" tool buttons for all other
providers.

> * testing a sample command, I get an empty dialo, and at the second
> opening I get "Cannot find module r.compress"
> * the man pages are no longer found:
> Cannot find man page /usr/lib/grass64/docs/html/r.compress.htmlPlease
> ensure you have the GRASS documentation installed.

It seems like if GISBASE was not pointing to the correct GRASS package
dir. Try to set GISBASE envar a path to the GRASS package before
starting  QGIS. Most probably the GISBASE is set to  /usr/lib/grass64/
but that dir does not contain the whole GRASS, just libs? It seem like
a packaging problem.

> Sorry to report too many issues, perhaps too early.

Yes, too early. First I have to get to the master everything what I
promised for 2.10, then we can play with fixes and cosmetics. Thanks
for testing however.

Radim