[Qgis-user] QGIS - Graphic Design Workflow

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 3 21:23:20 PST 2015

Hi Ezra,

Yes - "bringing in SVG files", it means bringing them in with "Add
Image". But note, although it says image - they are still a fully
scalable vector graphic without any quality degradation.

Gradients: this is perfectly possible within the QGIS print composer.
You can use any fill that you can do in the main map canvas, also in the
print composer: vector pattern fills, raster pattern fills, gradients,
shapeburst, simple fill, etc. - but it is limited to the page background
or basic shapes. A future version of the print composer may also add a
path tool.

There is no doubt that a vector graphics editor, such as
Inkscape/Illustrator/Corel offers more possibilities than QGIS - but the
difference isn't that huge.

Embedding Inkscape in QGIS: not very feasible. It is uses completely
different libraries than QGIS and the dependency would be too huge. It
would be more feasible to integrate something like
http://svg-edit.googlecode.com/svn-history/r1771/trunk/editor/svg-editor.html
to edit vector graphics. This could be done with the Webkit/blink component.

Andreas