[Qgis-user] Project QGIS Web Client II (QWCII)

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 10 05:30:09 PST 2015

Hi all,

I am now answering to all who replied to my original request at once.
Thanks to all of your feedback - and sorry that I don't reply to
everyone individually.

As you can imagine, I got tons of replies (on the list and offlist and
on other channels). Seems like there are dozens of OpenSource Web-GIS
clients out there who see themselves as potential QGIS Web Client
successors. Which one should we choose? Hard decision ... or should we
start from scratch? Please forgive us (our group) if we can't look at
every single project in detail - only the most promising ones.

On the other hand I received no reply from an organization who wants to
join our financial efforts - which is a bit disappointing.

I would like to provide a very brief summary of our hard requirements
(for those who don't want to read the full spec):

- same codebase for Desktop and mobile (no two separate viewers)
- Responsive Design for different screen sizes and resolutions
- Resolution independent (all icons need to be SVG based)
- Built on top of OpenLayers3. Be part of the OL3 community
- Source code needs to go into the QGIS.ORG Github repository
- QGIS.ORG may be the legal entity dealing with it in the future (to be
discussed)
- Modern, fast UI - no old ExtJS, jquery turned out to be quite slow on
mobile devices
- Designed around QGIS server (and grow with QGIS server) - we really
want a project to be designed around QGIS - not a viewer that works more
or less with any Mapserver - or which requires a plugin to also handle
QGIS server
- Modern, good looking design - similar to our desing study at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0h3PAH5uoY6UG82Y19BdW9IR0U/view?usp=sharing
- and also similar to map.geo.admin.ch (a good inspiration)
- no plugins, no Java - of course!
- runs on all major browsers
- modular code base (easy to enable/disable functionality)
- Easy to deploy (deploy script and QGIS plugin to do the configuration
- global and with per project override)

A company that wants to bid, needs to be part of the QGIS and FOSSGIS
community and needs to participate at the QGIS and FOSSGIS dev meetings.
The company or project should also demonstrate their experience in
Web-GIS client development.

The plan is to outsource the initial development of the project
(priorities P1) to one company/consortium (bidding process) and then
open it up to other devs and the community - once the project reaches
the initial goals of the P1 priorities.

I will let you know more - once we exactly know how the bidding process
will work. Bidding will probably start in January.

My colleagues on the project - please correct me if any of my above
statements is wrong ...

Thanks and greetings,
Andreas