[Qgis-user] Setting Data-Defined Fill Colors in One Fell Swoop (QGIS 2.12.1, Win 7 64 bit)

Terry Morse tmorse at teleport.com
Tue Dec 15 23:58:04 PST 2015

I wanted to set the colors for a polygon vector layer from an attribute field I defined. So I set the layer style to rule-based and discovered that I had to define a rule for each of the 33 attribute values individually. Additionally, although the colors display properly on the map, the rules didn't carry over to the legend symbols. It appears that data-defining is not available for legend symbols and that I will have to set each of them manually.

Is there a way to create a single rule and data definition that will apply to all the values in one fell swoop, and will also be reflected in the legend? If not, I would like to suggest this as a feature for a new version of QGIS.

Thank you,
Terry Morse