[Qgis-user] Looking for a suggestion on a vector format

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Dec 18 06:48:43 PST 2015

Hi,
The standard file format in QGIS is the shape file (.shp) but it is and old format.  That will give you the better compatibility with other projects and all the QGIS plugins.
I think going with spatialite vector file is probably the best option short of using an actual database.  Spatialite files are a single file (not 3 to 6 as in .shp).  But I expect some plugins will not be compatible.  In that case, you can always export stuff to a shape file. Both these file types can be reproject in any coordinate systems.  They are standardized and open.
Stay away from dwg /dxf as they are mainly useful for engineers to lazy to learn GIS!  They are excellent for drawing in  AutoCAD but useless (IMHO) in the GIS world.
Nicolas Cadieux
On Dec 18, 2015 9:04 AM, "Jesse McGraw [via OSGeo.org]" <ml-node+s1560n5241931h22 at n6.nabble.com> wrote:

    All,
      Before I go too far down the wrong path perhaps you can help me
    with a suggestion on a vector format to use for a project of mine:

    I'm to looking to basically re-create various Instrument Approach
    Procedure plates (see here
    for an example for San Francisco International - SFO ) from a
    database via a perl script and display a number of them as vector
    overlays in an existing QGIS project

    What would be a good format to use for this purpose?

    I'm imagining something like a QGIS project file, but I want it to
    contain to contain all of the various bits of information internally
    (coordinates, names, styling, icons etc.) and not have to query
    anything external so each file is a stand-alone unit.

    Ideally all of the coordinates would be real world lon/lat so no
    transformation would be required.  Bonus points if the format is
    openly standardized and easy to work with

    DWG/DXF?  SVG?

    Thanks,
      Jesse

		http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Looking-for-a-suggestion-on-a-vector-format-tp5241931.html

		To start a new topic under Quantum GIS - User, email ml-node+s1560n4125267h38@n6.nabble.com
		To unsubscribe from Quantum GIS - User, click here .
		NAML