[Qgis-user] QGIS instalation and uninstallation issues

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri Jul 17 04:50:33 PDT 2015

The standalone is too important to new inexperienced users. The people I
met and teach this software too generally get confused by the OSGEO4W
installer. I know it's not that hard to grasp - but it's different
enough. I encourage use of the OSGEO4W installer - but the standalone
wins almost every time for them.

Has their ever been given thought to a unified installer - I hate to
even type that because of the implications given the wide range of
platforms QGIS successfully runs on.

I have sitting before me two operating systems (ubuntu, windows,
(technically Mint 17 for a third)) and three ways to install QGIS that
leave with me three different versions of the software: 2.8.1
(ubuntugis), 2.8.2 (QGIS repo), 2.10/2.8.2 (osgeo4w).

Randy

On 07/17/2015 04:17 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

> The standalone is the same package as the osgeo4w one. Same layout
> same software.
>

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 6:15 pm Richard McDonnell
> <richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie <mailto:richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie>> wrote:
>
>     +1 to the idea of dumping the standalone, I don't think it ads any
>     functionality, only confusion!!
>

>     On 16/07/2015 19:46, Anita Graser wrote:
>>     On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Werner Macho
>>     <werner.macho at gmail.com <mailto:werner.macho at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Open-Source-Rawkonverter-Darktabl
>>         e-Windows-Version-scheitert-an-mangelnder-Initiative-2750592.html
>>         <http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Open-Source-Rawkonverter-Darktabl%0Ae-Windows-Version-scheitert-an-mangelnder-Initiative-2750592.html>
>>

>>         I fully agree with them.
>>

>>     ​+1
>>     ​ ​

>>         actually try make the update on windows "smoother" (isnt it
>>         already
>>         nice with OSGEO4W?)
>>

>>     ​I run QGIS on Win7+8 wit OSGeo4W and on Ubuntu. In my opinion,
>>     the Windows solution is almost easier to handle that the repos on
>>     Ubuntu. Thanks Jürgen and whoever else is involved!
>>
>>     I might even go as far as say that it might be worth considering
>>     dumping the stand-alone installer if it causes more issues than
>>     it's worth.
>>
>>     Best wishes,
>>     Anita
>>

>     OPW - Ag féachaint don am atá le teacht - Ag caomhnú ón am atá thart
>     OPW - Looking to the future - Caring for the past
>     <http://www.opw.ie/>
>     Email Disclaimer: http://www.opw.ie/en/disclaimer/

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc