[Qgis-user] blue marble and similar wms

Michael.Dodd michael.dodd at open.ac.uk
Fri May 8 06:16:44 PDT 2015

I am looking for a creative commons or similar background image to use with OSM vector data. There are options via openlayers and wms but can't find one that has suitable imagery without labels.
I am looking for something only at low resolution for background to New Zealand map.  There are loads of possibilities via LINZ but none provide a general topo image or similar suitable for whole country that looks reasonable as a map background (e.g. the terrain relief map is in big blocks and do not seem to be able to select out the coastline using vector to tidy up the edges, qgis raster clipper simply says the coastline shapefile or any other shapefile will not work to cut the raster).
Is there a wms providing blue marble data or a way of georeferencing the downloadable blue marble image files?