[Qgis-user] VIIRS geolocation data

Dr. Mitchell Andrew Schull mitch.schull at noaa.gov
Fri May 8 13:07:55 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I’m a new qGIS user (yesterday).  I’m trying to find a good ENVI replacement and it seems like qGIS is pretty good.  One of the nice features is the ability to quickly map your data on Google Earth without having to create a KML via GEarth_View.  Unfortunately if your data is not properly referenced it doesn’t work. That all being said I am running into the issue where I can open VIIRS data which is awesome however even though it has Lat and Lon info given as separate layers in the H5 product there doesn’t seem to be a way to add it to the file and possibly create a geotiff.  Of course then I cannot use Google Earth.  I would also like to overlap imagery for analysis so its annoying.  Any ideas?  Anybody wrote a plugin for this?

Thanks

Mitch