[Qgis-user] Are there any users working with the Oracle client on Ubuntu?

Schmid Andreas Andreas.Schmid at bd.so.ch
Fri Aug 19 07:21:04 PDT 2016

Thank you, Andreas and Jürgen, for your encouraging replies. I actually already managed to install (and configure) Oracle Client before, but I’m just still uncertain if “manage to install” is enough for later productive use.
Maybe I’m too much concerned, and maybe I’m trying too hard to keep things simple. But compared to a simple “apt-get install postgresql-client“, installing and maintaining the Oracle client on Ubuntu seems like a tremendous effort, if not a hack ;-).

I’ll check again if we have any alternative possibilities (e.g. exporting the data and importing them into PostGIS). If not, we’re at least not the only ones installing Oracle client on Ubuntu. If yes, we’ll gladly avoid it.

Andy