[Qgis-user] QGIS GRASS PLUGIN 7

Paul Shapley p.shapley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 14:12:46 PDT 2016

Hi Users,

I'm getting the following plugin error when starting QGIS 2.14.3 'Essen' on
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I have Grass 7.0.4 installed from the ubuntugis-unstable
repository and QGIS from the debian-nightly-release repository. The error
reads:

"Failed to load /usr/lib/qgis/plugins/libgrassplugin7.so (Reason: Cannot
load library /usr/lib/qgis/plugins/libgrassplugin7.so: (
libgrass_gis.7.0.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory))"

It seems as though QGIS cannot find the location of the Grass Libraries
needed to load the QGIS GRASS PLUGIN. As i understand this i need to create
a new config file placed in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/something.conf with a path to
the Grass libs and then activate the new config file using 'sudo ldconfig'.
I'm not sure which path should be entered into the config file. Should it
read:

/usr/lib

# or

/usr/lib/qgis/plugins

# which contains the
libgrassplugin7.so/libgrassprovider7.so/libgrassrasterprovider7.so)

# or

/usr/lib/grass70/lib

# this directory contains the libgrass_gis.7.0.4.so file

or some combination of these paths.

There may be another simpler alternative someone may be aware of for
example using 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/local/libs', if so can
someone let me know which approach works best.

Many Thanks,

Paul Shapley