[Qgis-user] QGIS Viewer

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 11:21:54 PDT 2016

QGIS is a viewer - It accesses data in files, databases & via web services.
Those data sources determine whether a user can edit the data or not. Make your file geodatabases read only for the QGIS user & the edit capabilities are disabled. It isn't up to QGIS to set such constraints, but those responsible for managing & sharing the data.
Like with word processing - share a read only file & the software is only a viewer, share a read/write file - user can do more...

Although I found out the hard way that under MS Windows, setting a file to read only does not prevent a user from deleting it. If only Microsoft developers & designers were as good as their marketers...
Brent Wood