[Qgis-user] GDAL/OGR : different compiled/running versions

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 04:48:27 PST 2016

Am 03.03.2016, 07:51 Uhr, schrieb Andre Joost <andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de>:
> Check out
> https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu
> and add "deb http://qgis.org/ubuntugis trusty main" to your repositories.
>
> Note that "ppa ubuntugis unstable" and "qgis.org with ubuntugis
> dependencies" are two different ways to install.

Now you complete confused me!

Download page says:
"If you use one of our ubuntugis based repositories you also need to add
following line:
deb     http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu
*codename* main"

The amount of digestible information on the download page unfortunately
did not improve in the last years, but for me this clearly says that you
have to activate http://qgis.org/ubuntugis plus the ppa! So where are the
"differences" then?

Actually, when installing/upgrading, I always do a lot of trial and error
until the stuff works as expected (having all the bells and whistles of
ubuntugis, otherwise qgis is quite crippled!) without being able to
memorize which combination did the trick in the end.

Since 2.12, I even have http://qgis.org/debian activated. This combination
for some versions works, for some not.
With the update to 2.14, even the grass plugin now for the first time
seems to work.
Only two more lines of explanation in the documentation would do the trick
to prevent users from planlessly installing/unistalling/adding
repos/removing repos I think.

Cheers
Bernd

> HTH,