[Qgis-user] GDAL/OGR : different compiled/running versions

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Mar 3 06:48:07 PST 2016

Hi Bernd,

On Thu, 03. Mar 2016 at 13:48:27 +0100, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> Download page says:
> "If you use one of our ubuntugis based repositories you also need to
> add following line:
> deb     http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu
> *codename* main"

> [...]for me this clearly says that you have to activate
> http://qgis.org/ubuntugis plus the ppa! So where are the "differences" then?

Because that's what it's supposed to say.

If you go without our qgis.org/ubuntugis repository you might get the old qgis
version from the ubuntugis ppa, if you use a distribution that ubuntugis has
one for.

> Actually, when installing/upgrading, I always do a lot of trial and
> error until the stuff works as expected (having all the bells and
> whistles of ubuntugis, otherwise qgis is quite crippled!) without
> being able to memorize which combination did the trick in the end.

What is there to memorize?  The download page has the information.  But given
that there are so many combinations it looks a bit complicated.

> Only two more lines of explanation in the documentation would do the
> trick to prevent users from planlessly installing/unistalling/adding
> repos/removing repos I think.

Which two lines?

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode