[Qgis-user] GDAL/OGR : different compiled/running versions

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Mar 3 08:53:06 PST 2016

Am 03.03.2016 um 15:48 schrieb Jürgen E. Fischer:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> On Thu, 03. Mar 2016 at 13:48:27 +0100, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
>> Download page says:
>> "If you use one of our ubuntugis based repositories you also need to
>> add following line:
>> deb     http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu
>> *codename* main"
>
>> [...]for me this clearly says that you have to activate
>> http://qgis.org/ubuntugis plus the ppa! So where are the "differences" then?
>
> Because that's what it's supposed to say.
>
> If you go without our qgis.org/ubuntugis repository you might get the old qgis
> version from the ubuntugis ppa, if you use a distribution that ubuntugis has
> one for.

That's the confusing part. For earlier versions of QGIS, you could use
either the ppa alone, or qgis.org.

>> Actually, when installing/upgrading, I always do a lot of trial and
>> error until the stuff works as expected (having all the bells and
>> whistles of ubuntugis, otherwise qgis is quite crippled!) without
>> being able to memorize which combination did the trick in the end.

Me too. And if you want the latest GDAL 2.0, you only get it for
Windows, or Debian unstable. Any chance to get it into Ubuntugis too?

>> Only two more lines of explanation in the documentation would do the
>> trick to prevent users from planlessly installing/unistalling/adding
>> repos/removing repos I think.
>
> Which two lines?

"Using the ubuntugis ppa alone (as encouraged for earlier versions to
get the best in GIS) does not give you the latest QGIS version."

And a small hint for Linux Mint users that ubuntugis trusty is the right
one, might be good also.

HTH,
André Joost