[Qgis-user] QGIS project with no projection

Andrew Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 10 04:43:01 PDT 2016

QGIS is configured into a non-earth or local CRS mode by doing the
following (in 2.14):

1. Turn off 'On the Fly CRS transformation' (Project > Project
Properties > CRS)
2. Ensure that the measurement ellipsoid is set to 'None / Planimetric'
(Project > Project Properties > General)
3. Set the coordinate, distance and area units to 'Map Units' (Project >
Project Properties > General)

All of these can also be set in the application level settings as the
defaults. QGIS can also be prevented from prompting for a CRS when
essentially it is ignored, so this isn't quite what Simon was asking
for, but close)

The LocalCoordinateSystemSetter in FME creates custom CRS for features
passing through it, optimising them for equal area or distance. The same
customised CRS could be implemented in QGIS, what is missing is a tool /
plugin that would automatically generate them.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Harfoot

GeoData Institute