[Qgis-user] ERDAS ECW/JPEG2000 SDK

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Mar 12 07:09:02 PDT 2018

No, you should download the specified SDK version, 5.3.  Since it's C++, it's easy to get missing symbol errors, even if the API doesn't change.

Note that the latest plugin has updated instructions, including the corrected download link.

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 5:19 AM, Dave Pepper <pepdave at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
> After reading QGIS user archive here and
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/124794/installing-qgis-with-ecw-support-on-mac <https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/124794/installing-qgis-with-ecw-support-on-mac>
> I see that this problem of reading ecw files in QGIS has some history.
>
> My latest attempt was to reinstall GDAL_Framework-2.1.3-1 and GDAL-ECW_Plugin-2.1.3-1
> from here http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks#gdal_complete <http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks#gdal_complete>
> and I added the library "libNCSEcw.dylib" to GDAL 2.1 Libraries folder from
> ERDAS ECW/JPEG2000 SDK 5.4 rather than 5.3
> I figured that the library file probably didn't change between 5.3 and 5.4 versions.
>
> I even restarted my Mac OS X 10.11.6
> restarted QGIS 2.18
> opened a new project and tried to load my raster file in .ecw format
> ERROR: Unsupported Data Source: /Users/s432198/Dropbox/Mudgee veg/abc1.ecw is not a supported raster data source
>
> This should work so I must be doing something wrong?
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Dave Pepper <pepdave at gmail.com <mailto:pepdave at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> update - I've made progress
>
> tip: go to bottom right corner of this support home page,
> https://support.hexagonsafetyinfrastructure.com/infocenter/index?page=home <https://support.hexagonsafetyinfrastructure.com/infocenter/index?page=home>
> to see this:
> Hexagon Geospatial
>
> Product Download Portal <http://download.hexagon.com/>click the link to get to this page,
> https://download.hexagongeospatial.com/ <https://download.hexagongeospatial.com/>
>
> search for ERDAS ECW JPEG2000 SDK
> fill in the form of details
> download the zip folder
>
> Then follow the Readme file with the GDAL ECW Plugin from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/archive <http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/archive>
>
> So I did all that, now how do I load this external (?) plugin and use it to open a file?
>
> Dave
> PS thanks Luke...as you can see above I eventually got there
>

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM, Dave Pepper <pepdave at gmail.com <mailto:pepdave at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've ploughed through the archives and read up to minute information to 2016 on ECW.
>
> I reinstalled QGIS with all requirements from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/qgis <http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/qgis>
>
> I installed ECW Plugin 2.1.1-2 from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/archive. <http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/archive.>..
> [...]

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy