[Qgis-user] Automatically ordering layers & best practice for transferring data

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Tue Jun 16 10:23:33 PDT 2020

Hi,

See below

On 2020-06-16 12:39 p.m., RMG wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a lot of layers that are often similar in names and structures
> (e.g., 2018-01-20_daily-path_length, 2018-01-21_daily-path_length,
> 2018-01-22_daily-path_length ....), but not always. Is there a way to
> automatically order the layers by alphabetical order, date, etc.? I am
> not talking about grouping or sub-grouping. I am looking for a
> function that would allow us to sort them by certain specifics (e.g.,
> order by modification date, order by rasters then vectors).

There was an experimental  sort layer plugin but I can't find it from
QGIS 3x. Only on the web site.  Maybe it has not been ported to qgis
3x.  Anybody???  I believe the "Load them all" plugin could help also.

https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/SortLayers/

Some code found here could help.

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/318834/sort-layers-in-table-of-contents-in-qgis-3

> Second question. What is the best practice for transferring data from
> one external hard drive to another? A 2TB drive is full with a lot of
> Landsat images and now I would like to transfer the data to a 4TB one.
> How do I make sure that I have a smooth workflow without looking for
> layers within each project?
>
> Regards,

Personally, I used Syncbacks free or SE.
https://www.2brightsparks.com/welcome/syncback-syncbackse-syncbackpro.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhVgBM3Bb_uJ-H69UvKghHCBr7yB8rDZ3evsXuY1ASKJYsv5O3HT0yxoC5_YQAvD_BwE

You could always just copy and paste from one drive to the other.  This
can work if you are not accessing the files from the drives at the same
time.  Never *cut* and paste. That can be messy if things go wrong.  If
you keep the same file structure, QGIS projects should work on the
second drive. Your hard drive may also have a free software to do the
job.  I would keep the first drive as a backup.

Cheers!

Nicolas