[Qgis-user] Placing random points

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Fri Mar 24 23:56:37 PDT 2023

> chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
> Fri Mar 24 20:16:59 PDT 2023

> I believe I was the one who suggested the layer bounds approach.

Hi Chris, probably there was a misunderstanding.

IIRC, you suggested to use the "Random points in extent" algorithm.
AFAIK this algorithm places the random points inside a rectangular (in
the CRS Cartesian plane) extent, e.g. the rectangular extent of the
layer containing the polygons, so it is not guaranteed that such random
points will actually fall inside the polygons as the can fall inside the
rectangular extent but outside the polygons. Using this algorithm it is
not guaranteed that such random points will actually fall inside the
polygons even if the polygons are dissolved.

Instead, using the "Random points in layer bounds" algorithm, the
resulting layer will contain the specified number of points and such
random points will always fall inside the polygons even if the polygons
are not dissolved.

Best regards.

Andrea