[Qgis-user] Square Buffer

Hugh Kelley hghklly at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 11:58:31 PDT 2023

Oops, including the list.

Also, having now written the response and re-read your question, I would
guess that the coordinate system you are using is causing the distortion
you see in the result.

I'd be curious to see what others on the list might suggest as the best
option for crs as I think even state plane would be distorted at least a
little.

---‐--------------------------------------

Hi, not in front of my computer so I can't test but I would recommend
first, creating a round buffer with a diameter equal to the square side you
are looking for, and then second, using the "extent" tool that's in one of
the vector tools subcategories to extract the layer extent, creating the
square you need.

That should create a "square" although, importantly, the idea of a square
in the gis world is a little fraught as the coordinate system you are using
can sometimes produce odd results.

I would, at a minimum, use the measure tool to double check that what looks
like a square truly has a height equal to its width.