[Qgis-user] Inquiry Regarding Hardware Requirements for QGIS

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Thu Mar 7 23:20:22 PST 2024

> What are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for QGIS?

For normal application use, a computer that's less than 10 years old is
probably fine.  I'm running it on a second hand office Dell from 2017
with no issues at all.  If your computer is capable of viewing modern
web sites then it is capable of running QGIS quite well.

These days computers are so fast that outside of some specific fields,
pretty much any computer will do the job for most things.

QGIS is not a particularly demanding application as far as these things
go.

> What type of graphics card is required/recommended: OpenGL (Open Graphics
> Library), NVIDIA CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture), or RTX (Ray
> Tracing eXtensions)?

If you use any of these things for your work, you will already know
exactly what you need.  If you have to ask the question, then you are
unlikely to need particular support for these technologies.

The aforementioned Dell I am using does not have a dedicated video card
and is using Intel onboard graphics (one of the most basic setups you
can get), and it works just fine with QGIS.

Cheers,
Adam.