[RouterGeocoder] Dual-licensing

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Dec 3 00:18:17 EST 2008

Anton Patrushev wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I was thinking about how to adopt GPLed tools for proprietary
> solutions and I think the answer is dual-licensing.
> For example,
>
> 1. The community makes a Router/Geocoder library and grant all
> copyrights to the Foundation.
> 2. Foundation reissues it under two licenses - GPL for using with Open
> Source tools and some kind of commercial license for proprietary ones.
> 3. Commercial version is sold to proprietary tool developers and the
> money goes to the Foundation.
> 4. ?????
> 5. PROFIT!
> :)
>
> I think it is much better than reissuing existing tools under any kind
> of exotic BSD/MIT-ish license.
> What do you think?

Hello Anton,

This is certainly an option and there have been projects that have done
this. As has been said before the ultimate decision on the license has
to be with the developer(s). If you are thinking OSGeo as the
foundation, then I think you would need input from them or you might
need to make another foundation specifically for this. There are issues
around lawyers, and revenue collection and whether or not OSGeo could
even do that if they want to be a non-profit organization for US tax
purposes.

I think it depends on what the developers want from the license and how
and how well it is marketed. For example, as you propose, revenue from
licensing can only come after the fact. IE: you have to have a complete
and useful product in the eyes of the market place. The project must put
all the effort in up front with no support and then it must decide on
license fees and hope that there is a market for the library at the
selected fees.

Another option is to establish a licensing policy up front, and if it is
acceptable to the corporate and/or commercial users, then they are
(more?) liable to support it during the development phase. This is
because there is an incentive for them to help the project mature the
product to the point that they can use it. This does not preclude the
establishment of a dual license.

At any rate it is something to think about. I'm sure there are other
ideas, pros and cons for all of these that I have not mentioned.

Best regards,
   -Steve