[RouterGeocoder] The Key Comercial Players

Sampson, David David.Sampson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Dec 4 08:38:12 EST 2008

Hey Folks,
After reading Toru's e-mail (a while back),
"Re: [RouterGeocoder] Re: [Pagc-devel] Comments re. Requirementsoutlined
on OSGeo"
this solidified my thought that there might be some other key players
out there. Perhaps we should start gathering a list of current,
potential and future stakeholders... Then invite into the discussion
Keeping with the theory that open source approaches work best for
non-differentiating products one area to find some key partners are web
based services that already use geocoding. Maybe some web services that
are employing their own model for geocoding might be valuable such as:
* http://www.postlbs.org/en/project (not accessible last time I tried
it)
* http://geocoder.ca/
* http://www.batchgeocode.com/
Some of these use pre-existing web based API's like Google and yahoo.
And some are one offs.
Would it be valuable to check out the interest level of this project
with commercial stakeholders
* Google
* Yahoo
* Mapquest
etc etc...
I am thinking especially with Google, there may be components or logic
they would want to open source or parts that already exist in projects
like PAGC that they would like to include.
These stakeholders may help to hash out the requirements. After all with
the PAGC having moved to modify its licence for commercial stakeholders
it would only make sense to actually invite the people that could
develop and use the product based on the lic we modified to. Unless that
was all hot air...
If these people are already on the list (silently) then feel free to
intro yourselves.
Just some thoughts.
Cheers