[SeasonOfDocs] The Good Docs Project status meeting 21 August 2019

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 01:24:38 PDT 2019

Hi All,

Sorry for also missing this week's meeting- I had a small surgical
procedure during the day and couldn't quite cope with staying up late! I'm
also away on leave from tomorrow for a week so won't be around for the
meeting next week either.

A quick update on email lists:

I've been in discussion with GitHub Help via twitter and they have made
some suggestions for archiving methods, which I have yet to try out. I've
also been asking them about publicly accessible lists (eg something that is
viewable and searchable without needing to log in to GitHub, though not
actually postable). Unfortunately with that question they seem to have
totally misunderstood what I wanted, so let's just say that discussion is
ongoing. Collectively we've all been teasing out what people can and can't
do with various permissions levels, so I think when I'm back from leave we
can probably decide whether to take this forward or explore other options.

A further action I'd like us to explore is the use of Pull Request
templates to include text about licensing- I'd be happy to take this
forward when I return unless anyone else has bandwidth to look at it now.
While I initially thought probot was really cool, I hadn't considered how
biased it was to terminal use, and how much of a barrier to entry it seemed
to place on people using various GUIs, which seems unsuitable for us in the
short-term at least.

All the best

Jo