[SeasonOfDocs] reStructureText Quick Starts and References

Jared Morgan jaredleonmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 01:31:50 PDT 2019

I asked around on Write the Docs in the Sphinx channel and got some useful
links to abridged rST usage guides.

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html  is the first
one and takes the form of an abridged version of
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html#section-structure

Both are recommended by writers who need a quick reminder of syntax.

One thing I will say is that rST looks quite similar to AsciiDoc, with some
notable differences.

The way you do headings in AsciiDoc is like this:

= Heading 1
== Heading 1.1
=== Heading 1.1.1

whereas in rST it is"

Chapter 1 Title
===============

Section 1.1 Title
-----------------

Subsection 1.1.1 Title

The only thing that grinds my gears about that is that you seem to have to
stuff around with needless decoration to get the headings to display. Those
folks who use writing IDEs like Atom an MS Code, are there good libraries
that take away some of these rough edges?

Jared Morgan
M: +61413005479
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/117309635670089895654/posts/p/pub> |
Twitter <http://twitter.com/!#/jaredmorgs> | Facebook