[Ubuntu] gdal 1.9 with FileGDB API

Luke tiliqua_au at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 19 17:02:33 PDT 2012

Alan Boudreault <aboudreault at ...> writes:

> If I read correctly the page, compiling gdal with FileGDB needs the
> arcgis SDK. The license of this SDK doesn't allow us to distribute it at
> all.

It's my understanding that the File Geodatabase API SDK (in its
entirety, i.e. headers, link libraries, etc.) can not be
redistributed, however, the File Geodatabase API runtime libraries
(.dll/.so) are freely redistributable.

Clause 47 of the license agreement states:
http://resources.arcgis.com/node/agreement/3193

    47.   Licensee may develop and distribute software or web
    applications that use the Esri File Geodatabase API to
    Licensee's end users.

The OSGEO4W project are already doing so and have confirmed with
ESRI that this is acceptable use - http://tinyurl.com/dy84tk3

See also a couple of posts from ESRI employees on the ArcGIS forum:
http://tinyurl.com/cjwznw6
http://tinyurl.com/d3exhm9

Luke