[Ubuntu] gdal 1.9 with FileGDB API

Seb R seb44550 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:12:01 PDT 2012

Last time, I compiled gdal with fgdb and built a ready-to-install .deb file
specifying that the folder "FileGDB" was in /usr/local/
And then compiled and built a ready-to-install .deb file for Qgis1.9 with
gdal1.9 with fgdb.

It was then possible to install it on another machine after having
downloaded from esri and extracted the FileGDB.zip in /usr/local/
The problem is that it was possible only for a similar distribution :
Oneiric 64bits.
But maybe for both API version 1.1 and 1.2... on 64bits.
*I don't know how it works to build it for different distributions within a
ppa... And how it must be tested... etc...
Do you built it on different virtual machines 32b & 64b to be able to
release it or are there virtual machine through launchpad ?*

This would surely require a specific ppa for people who want the filegdb
api.
This would be a solution like you propose for "libgdal-ecw-src" I guess.
This would however require people to manually select the packages from
synaptic.
I wrote kind of an installation guide for this (see below).

Concerning me, I think I will effectively built it on a virtual machine. I
didn't think about this before... well...
This will be easier when (if?) gdal will directly include it.

## Installation guide with possible errors encoutered...
<< Info: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FileGDB to compile gdal >>
<< Info: http://georezo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=74322 to compile qgis >>

Download FileGDB_API on
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/login?destination=content/geodatabases/10.0/file-gdb-download

Extract "FileGDB_API_1_1-64.tar.gz" and copy the file in "/usr/local/"
directory (you may need the sudo rights)
Verify that "libxerces" is installed
(In a terminal:)
$sudo apt-get install libxerces-c3.1

<< Warning: deb files built for a Oneiric_64bits_with_API-1.1>>
Install gdal1.9.0-1_amd64.deb
Install qgis1.9-gdal1.9-GDBAPI_amd64.deb

--> Test in a Terminal (to verify the presence of "FileGDB")
$ogrinfo --formats

IF pb=
    $ gdalinfo --formats
    gdalinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot

    --> Is the lib acessible outside of gdal?
    $ /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep gdal

    -->no gdal1.9:  Let's try adding the path to libgdal.so.1 in
/etc/ld.so.conf

    $ find /usr -name libgdal.so.1
    /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.1

    $ sudo gedit /etc/ld.so.conf
    --> add
    /usr/local/lib

    $ sudo ldconfig

    $ /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep gdal
    --> gdal1.9 is there

IF pb=
    $ gdalinfo --formats
    gdalinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libxerces-c-3.1.so:
cannot

    --> the library libxerces is not installed
    $sudo apt-get install libxerces-c3.1

IF pb=
    $ gdalinfo --formats
    gdalinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libFileGDBAPI.so: cannot

    --> Verify that "FileGDB_API" is in "/usr/local/" directory

    $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/FileGDB_API/lib
    $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH