[Ubuntu] gdal 1.9 with FileGDB API

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Thu Jun 21 07:47:58 PDT 2012

Hi Seb,

I'm afraid that it's easier deploy those kinds of plugin (containing a
ready binary) in osgeo4w and or on a Windows OS. That's why we have
provided a source plugin in Launchpad. This source package allows users
to build the package, whenever they want, any distribution and
architectures. Of course it is preferable to build the .so plugin on a
development machine somewhere (that is the same distribution than the
production one). But after that, the .so can be moved easily.

Yes, all packages has to be rebuilt on their appropriate distributions
and architectures. That's why Launchpad is so nice. It does most of the
work for us.

GDAL package cannot include it, even directly. We cannot put the sdk in
our PPA, so we can't built anything related to that format. Providing a
hack-package would be hard since there is too many dependencies and I
would need to support all users deployments, something that I do not
have to do with the source plugin since I know that if the build script
work... everything will link properly. That's different than providing a
.so and guess the user will deploy it correctly.

I hope my explanations make sense to you.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Boudreault
http://www.mapgears.com/