[OSGeo Africa] Introducing GeoNetwork opensource and myself

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Jun 21 04:42:19 EDT 2006

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi list,
> Just ran into this. Seems like a very good idea and I understand it
> was more or less triggered while Jody was in South Africa!?
Nope I am innocent on this one.

But I am going to try and help out where I can, and bore people with
some ideas on how we can get FOSS going here in Africa.
Just managed to get myself time to go to FOSS4G and am trying to decide
and may do a presentation on the same (only ten days till the deadline).
> I'm Jeroen Ticheler, working at the Food and Agriculture Organization
> (FAO) in Rome Italy. We are working with several UN agencies and
> country initiatives on Spatial Catalogues/ Spatial Data Management
> through the development of GeoNetwork opensource
> (http://geonetwork.sourceforge.net). Thought it would be a good idea
> to introduce that here as the software is running in several places in
> Africa already and aims at making spatial data more accessible. A a
> FOSS project, you're most welcome to use it and contribute to its
> development wherever you can :-)
Heh, do you have some client code I can borrow for uDig :-)  Actually
depending on your web user interface we may be able to use it as is (via
an embedded browser). I was chatting with Jesse the other day and
apparently he has not maintained contact with you ...

Cheers,
Jody