[OSGeo Africa] Re: Introduction to GIS information

Brendon Wolff-Piggott brendon at integratedgeodata.co.za
Mon Nov 10 15:49:46 EST 2008

Hi William

GIS has been a part of the US K12 curriculum for a while.  Google picks up
quite a few references.  It might be useful to look at these.

This article on teaching GIS in the Professional Geographer looks
interesting:
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bpl/prog/1999/00000051/00000004/art00010

" ...access to appropriate hardware is a critical barrier. Time is another
critical barrier—time to learn the GIS software and time in the curriculum
to incorporate GIS as a learning experience. In both case studies,
learning the technology at the expense of learning spatial analysis was a
danger, suggesting the need for conscious focus on the goal of using GIS
to learn how to “do geography.”  "

Regards
Brendon Wolff-Piggott