[OSGeo Africa] Census Shape Files

Chris Berens chris at mapland.co.za
Mon Dec 3 00:43:49 PST 2012

The non-alignment of public boundaries highlights the importance of
releasing EA based statistics so as to allow for accurate
re-districting.  I have not heard a coherent argument for withholding
data at that level.  It is a fairly simple task to split sub-place
polygons weighted by area but unlikely that each public entity will
take the trouble.

A bit like the annual SPOT purchase, massive SD infrastructure largely
ignored by service providers due to inaccessible data format.