[OSGeo Africa] Census Shape Files

Calle Hedberg chedberg at telkomsa.net
Mon Dec 3 01:01:35 PST 2012

Chris,

Absolutely correct. While there might be good reasons for withholding
certain types of socio-economic data (e.g. income) that potentially can be
used to identify individual households (e.g. by criminals), there are no
valid reasons for withholding the most useful EA data (population by
single-year age groups and gender, water and sanitation, etc).

I did extensive splitting of Small Area Layer polygons after 2003 to fit
that data to the new municipality structure, and it's an effing pain -
weighting by area don't cut it, you have to either combine it with a
high-quality land use layer or you have to inspect each polygon manually
using imagery or orthorectified photos since the majority of cross-border
polygons tend to have a wide variation in population density.

Regards
Calle

Calle Hedberg
Health Information Systems Programme - South Africa
46D Alma Road, 7700 Rosebank, SOUTH AFRICA
Tel/fax (home): +27-21-685-6472
Cell: +27-82-853-5352
Email: chedberg at telkomsa.net
Email2: calle.hedberg at gmail.com