[OSGeo Africa] 2013 GIS short courses through Continued Education at University of Pretoria

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Tue Nov 20 02:45:41 PST 2012

    Just had a chance to look at these now

    Really looks good

    I did have a question though ( not intended to become a bun fight but
    really asking for some informed opinion )

    I notice that the UP courses are going to set the budget back a bit
    ( OK -- education is an investment and the courses are within the ball
    park for this type of educational program )

    However .........

    ESRI now have their own certification program.

    One can attend ESRI courses ( not inexpensive )
    or
    One can obtain the recommended course material for self-study and then
    just go and sit the exam. ( about the most cost effective method of
    getting a GIS certification ? ) ESRI have extensive free online help.

    Perhaps someone could explain the relative "weights"  each type of
    certification would hold in the work place ?  I assume ESRi being ESRI
    this would be a globally recognised certification ?

    Your thoughts appreciated

    CM