[OSGeo Africa] 2013 GIS short courses through Continued Education at University of Pretoria

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 03:51:01 PST 2012

Good comment Chris

These UP courses focus on the theory and practice of GIS, not on a
particular brand of software.

So while an ESRI course might cover some theory, it is mainly about how
to use ESRI software.

An ESRI certification means something to an employer wanting an ESRI
software expert.

The international QGIS community is developing a similar type of
certification for QGIS. So for employers who ask for a 'QGIS expert',
one would show a QGIS certificate.

A UP or equivalent 'academic' certificate means something to an employer
wanting a GIS expert, or expertise in a specific GIS field.

For instance, an employer asks for a 'spatial database expert' - you
show them the 'academic' course certificate. It shows you've covered the
generic theory and application of spatial databases. The course just
happens to have used PostGIS for the sake of practical software to use
in the course and because FOSS leaves your options open (and because a
university should be brand-neutral).

For training towards professional registration, a 'generic, academic'
course is likely to tick more of the accreditation boxes, since the
profession is about the theory and practice, not the software.

Gavin