[OSGeo Africa] Native reserves/locations as originally proclaimed in the Native Land Act of 1913 and later

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Mon Apr 8 04:24:06 PDT 2013

    Hi Aslam ,

    Have you had a look at the the Report of the Tomlinson Commission ? ( all
    the many volumes and maps )

    I am very sure that there must have been a spatial component to the 1913
    Act -- I would also think that this would have been the responsibility of
    the SG ?  ( Definitely some Gov department )

    There is some info for Natal but this would not be the whole country.

    "The Native Reserves in Natal ( Natal Regional Survey Vol V11 ) Edgar H
    Brookes and N Hurwitz University of Natal

    Have you had a look at "Disputed Land"   ( the book )

    Did you attend the land conference at UCT ?

    http://www.landdivided2013.org.za

    Lots of papers presented but I do not see anythung that would excite a
    land surveyor or a GIS practioner. It would appear that historians /
    social scientists know nothing about spatial and surveyors know nothing
    about history ?

    The whole thing looks just like a talk shop -- something academics are
    famous for. How can you analyze something if you have not quantified it ?

    Perhaps mail Aninka Claassens
    or

    Prof Johann Kirsten at Pretoria University Ag Econ department  -
    Johann is a grandson of Prof Tomlinson.

    WHERE are the Spatial experts -- Historical Geographers ?

    Still -- when I see the Ford Foundation and Konrad Adenauer together I am
    not expecting anything more than a bound report and conclusions that
    favour certain political themes !

    Please let me know if you do manage to track down the full spatial
    complement to the 1913 Land Act.
    Perhaps ask Linda ........

    CM