[OSGeo Africa] upcoming FOSS GIS courses

Gavin Fleming gavin at afrispatial.co.za
Wed Feb 27 02:45:15 PST 2013

FOSS GIS Academy, the training arm of AfriSpatial, is offering two
courses during the month of April in Muizenberg, Cape Town.

*Introduction to Enterprise GIS with FOSS
<http://www.fossgisacademy.com/courses/introduction-to-enterprise-gis-with-foss?utm_source=FOSS+GIS+Academy+Upcoming+Courses&utm_campaign=cc9c9b1c44-Upcoming_courses_on_offer2_13_2013&utm_medium=email>
*runs over 5 days from the 8th to the 12th of April 2013 at AIMS in
Muizenberg.

Learn how to set up and run a full enterprise GIS with Free and Open
Source Software. We will cover the full stack: server platform, spatial
database, web map servers, map tiling and caching, OGC web services and
web map clients. Software includes OpenGeo Suite (PostGIS, GeoServer,
GeoWebcache, GeoExt, OpenLayers) and Quantum GIS (desktop, server and
web client).

CPD: 2 points (category 1b)

<http://www.fossgisacademy.com/courses?utm_source=FOSS+GIS+Academy+Upcoming+Courses&utm_campaign=cc9c9b1c44-Upcoming_courses_on_offer2_13_2013&utm_medium=email>*Introduction
to PostGIS
<http://www.fossgisacademy.com/courses/introduction-to-postgis?utm_source=FOSS+GIS+Academy+Upcoming+Courses&utm_campaign=cc9c9b1c44-Upcoming_courses_on_offer2_13_2013&utm_medium=email>
*takes place on the 18th and 19th of April 2013 at AIMS in Muizenberg.

PostGIS is a spatial database that is more than just a spatial data
store. With PostGIS, users, web map servers and other applications can
all run off the same database. And beware! Doing spatial analysis in
PostGIS can become addictive. We will cover installing PostgreSQL and
PostGIS, loading data, performing spatial queries, doing spatial
analysis with SQL and using PostGIS with QGIS.

CPD: 1 point (category 1b)

Registration and payment for these courses needs to take place before
the 15th of March 2013. Follow the links above to find out more and to
register.

I'll also be presenting Spatial Databases with PostGIS
<http://web.up.ac.za/default.asp?ipkCategoryID=16147&subid=16147&ipklookid=11&utm_source=FOSS+GIS+Academy+Upcoming+Courses&utm_campaign=cc9c9b1c44-Upcoming_courses_on_offer2_13_2013&utm_medium=email#postgis>
from the 25th to the 28th of March 2013 at the University of Pretoria.

--
regards

Gavin

Gavin Fleming