[OSGeo Africa] Travel Time Calculation

Gavin Fleming gavin at afrispatial.co.za
Mon Jan 14 10:07:44 PST 2013

Hi Uazu

I would use pgRouting (http://pgrouting.org/)

- install pgRouting
- add pgRouting to a PostGIS database
- load your roads and points into the database
- set up network topology by adding nodes with the assign_vertex_id()
function. Check that you have a properly connected network.
- you can use any value as cost. In this case you'd want to calculate
the cost field (pgRouting uses 'length' be default) as travel time. You
could use road length with other information like speed limits to
calculate or estimate travel time per road segment.
- Set up lists or tables of your villages and urban centres
- Use PostGIS functions to calculate the closest urban centre to each
village (as the crow flies). It is possible to calculate the closest
along the network but that is a bit more complicated and straight line
distance might be good enough.
- Then use pgRouting to calculate the shortest path between each of your
chosen pairs and return travel time.

To automate this I would write a Python script.

There is good documentation and workshops on the pgRouting site and
elsewhere.

hth

Gavin