[OSGeo Africa] QGIS benchmarks and optimization

Chucker one chucker1.47 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 01:35:31 PST 2015

Hi All,

I am doing some research to see if QGIS could replace some of the propriety
GIS software at the company I work for. QGIS will primarily be used for
viewing vectors and digitizing from satellite and aerial images. For
processing we generally use custom python and C++ scripts and programs.

The vector data we use can range from a few MB to GB in size which contain
thousands to millions of features per dataset. There for I have proposed to
move from a file based vector format to a PostGIS database.

My questions are:

   1. Are there any benchmarking stats for the latest LTS QGIS? If not, how
   would I go about benchmarking QGIS?
   2. I have enabled multi-core rendering, render caching, and increased
   the zoom factor to 5 and created spatial indices for vectors and pyramids
   for rasters, which have greatly improved rendering performance. However, I
   still encountered a lot of mini dumps and not responding errors (Win 7
   64bit) when doing basic panning and editing on large datasets. What other
   settings/options are there to increase performance?

Just in case, I do not think hardware is an issue, since most of the
computers have 12 core CPUs, 16GB to 64GB ram, 500GB-1TB SSDs and high end
Gfx cards.

Thanks in advance
Chris