[Australia] [Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo education outreach at FOSS4G2007 etc]

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue Jul 17 23:02:50 EDT 2007

Tim,

We should look at engaging the CRC-Spatial Information on this as well.
There are a number of tertiary institutions involved with the CRC.

However, before all of this gets started, we will need to sort out:

- just what the Australian Chapter of OSGeo is (if it exists).

- what are the 'rules of engagement'?

- are there enough interested members to support it (I've only seen posts
from a couple of people).
  If we don't have the support on the ground, it may not be worth the
effort to  establish a local chapter.

- the legal standing of the chapter. I wouldn't want to see too many
decisions being made that would
  potentially leave individual members liable.

Sorry to play the wet blanket, but we need to get this right if we want it
to succeed for the longer term.

I'd like to hear the thoughts from some of our other list members as well.
Please don't be shy (I promise that I won't play Aunty Jack  ;-)  (for
those old enough to remember)).

Bruce

Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au>
Sent by: australia-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
18/07/2007 12:39 PM

Aust OSGeo <Australia at lists.osgeo.org>
cc

Subject
[Australia] [Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo education outreach at FOSS4G2007]

>From the main osgeo list.  Perhaps there is something here we could do
for our '09 conf bid.  We'd like to get some engagement with UNSW
spacial sciences, but maybe that could go further- Sydney TAFE runs well
regarded surveying & town planning diplomas.  There must be some
opportunities to get some engagement with students in those disciplines.
Any ideas/comments?

Regards,
Tim