[Benchmarking] Geodata for the WMS shootout

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Wed May 5 05:04:17 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Brief introduction: I'm Iván from Spain, and I'm involved in
OpenStreetMap, OSGeo-es, the Spanish SDI initiative, and a bunch of
other things.

The FOSS4G local team (i.e. Lorenzo and Óscar) asked me to look into
providing geodata for this year's workshops. FYI, the IGN (the Spanish
mapping agency) provides most of its data for non-commercial use
[1][2][3], so most likely the workshops will be using a small excerpt of
that.

[1]
http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/cambiarMenu.do?destino=catalogo
[2] http://blog-idee.blogspot.com/2010/03/cartociudad-descarga-gratuita.html
[3]
http://blog-idee.blogspot.com/2010/02/el-ign-cnig-pone-en-marcha-la-descarga.html

I knew about last year's WMS shootout, so I asked myself "As FOSS4G is
held in Spain, wouldn't it be cool if the WMS shootout used lots and
lots of real data from Spain?". And so, here am I :-)

The data that is available under a non-commercial license (i.e.
free-as-in-free-beer) comprises the following:
* ~5 GB of shapefiles (building outlines, street network, house numbers)
* ~30 GB of rasterized topo maps
* 1.5+ TB of orthophotography (mixed 25cm/px, 50cm/px, 10cm/px, all ECW)

Personally, I do think that a benchmark with this amount of data will
provide more interesting results than last year's. Moreover, I can ask
for some WMS server logs, to see if we can get a hold of a bunch of
BBOXes from a real-world workload (although this might be challenging).

What do you think of this? I know spreading this amount of data to all
participants might be a bit troublesome due to the size, and a sample
SLD should be provided to all parties, but I do think the results will
be worth it.

Besides, we can always throw in some OSM data :-)

Cheers,