[Benchmarking] Geodata & hard drives

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Thu May 20 05:12:51 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I've talked briefly with the spanish National Geographic Institute
(which is a FOSS4G sponsor! [1]) and they are OK with us using their
data for the benchmarking.

[1] http://twitter.com/foss4g/status/14312706256

The only requirement is to give them attribution, which I think won't be
any problem at all. All it takes is a logo on a slide.

The real problem, and the reason for my query, is the amount of data.
The 4 GB of shapefiles are not much of a problem, but the >1.5TB of
orthophotos is.

Questions:

How big are the HDs on the test servers?

Where are the servers going to be physically located? Moving this amount
of data around is not trivial.

Last year a couple of benchmarks regarding vector formats (shp vs
postgis) were made. Will the 2010 benchmark include something like
geotiff vs ecw vs rasterlite? It would take tons of HD space, but it
would help see if the image pyramids are doing their work properly.

Cheers,