The next round of board members

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Fri Feb 24 13:14:56 PST 2006

Frank has tagged me to shepard the next round of board elections.
Thanks so much for taking the lead on the members Frank.  I'm going to
write up a proposal for the process here, we can refine the details, and
hopefully get it passed by the board on Monday.

---
The nomination process will open Thursday, March 2nd.  The votes of
members are due on Monday, so the announcement should go out Tuesday.
We'll leave wednesday in case something goes wrong, and to give the new
members a chance to be notified and the like.

Nominations should be sent directly to the discuss at osgeo.org list.  This
is to make the process more open, and so that everyone knows who else
has been nominated.  This also can open the door for a bit of discussion
about people's merits and qualifications by members of the list.

Nominators must get approval from their nominee before sending their
name to the discuss list.  The board (me) will check with them to
confirm that they do accept the nomination, to avoid having to turn it
down in a public forum.  I will also confirm that they are willing to
take on a workload of 8 hrs/week (which will also be made clear in the
initial email, I'll work on drafting it soon).

Non-voting members (nvms) should be encouraged to contribute to the
discuss list, make their voice heard on the list.  Being a voting member
just means you get to actually vote, but the process of nomination and
discussion should be open to all, nvms can get a say in the process by
publicly saying who they would support.

The nomination period will last until Tuesday, March 7th.  I will
compile a html document of all candidates, and include relevant
discussion on merits from the discuss list.  This list will be posted by
Wednesday, March 8th

Votes will be due Monday, March 13th.  Each member will have four votes
that they can distribute, from all to one candidate to one per each
candidates.  Votes will be sent to a vote at board.osgeo.org, where Rich
Steele (as secretary) and I will tally.  This will be an open list,
though only voting members may post to it.

The first full board meeting will hopefully occur Monday, March 20th.
This should give the new board members to read through the archive, and
for all of us to sync up the best time to meet.

Thoughts?

Chris

--
Chris Holmes