[OSGeo-Board] Sysadmin ideas/motion

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Sep 3 09:58:16 PDT 2006

dear Jason, thanks,
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 09:48:39AM -0700, Jason Birch wrote:
> This server will be used for SVN repositories that we can't afford to
> lose.  I don't think that $3000 will buy a server with the kind of
> profile that we need.  My spec for a server would be:
>
> - dual-dualcore
> - 2-4Gb memory
> - mirrored RAID1 disks for OS & apps
> - lots of RAID5 for svn and mailing list storage (external SAS disk
> shelf recommended)
> - redundant power supplies

Thanks for this. As i understand it the number OSL threw at us
included RAID of some flavour (assuming for OS) and redundant
PSU. They get a signficant academic discount for people who just
want them to take care of buying and installing the machine rather
than sending them a pre setup box to put in their colo.
These are definitely good questions to get clear and find out how that
fits with their spec recommendations - the 3-5K number we had was a
random handwave.

http://osuosl.org/hosting/facilities - power, network redundancy
http://prettyboy.osuosl.org/ - webcam!

> There will also be a need for a backup solution, hopefully with offsite
> storage.  Does OSUOSL offer anything in this regard?

We'll have to find out, and ask what plans they have / what other
opensource projects who host there do to manage offsite backups.

thanks,

jo