[Board] Meeting Friday

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Dec 6 06:42:17 PST 2007

Frank,

On 5-Dec-07, at 11:21 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Dave McIlhagga wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just made one final change to the budget to remove 5k or the
>> marketing budget originally agreed for 2008 that will be spent
>> this year.
>> Apart from that - we've reviewed the budget, and are ready to
>> present to the board for final discussion and approval at Friday's
>> meeting.
>
> Are there any details available on what the $8K for accounting/
> financial
> services would be for?  Does that include an "outside audit"?  Does
> that
> include part time accounting services?

Actually the most significant amount (around 4-5k) is for Payroll
services, and Canada gov't obligations such as CPP, etc..

In speaking with Ken, I believe he didn't think the outside audit
would be required -- but there is room for financial / legal
contingencies.

> Do we have any details on the $10K for "improve osgeo web site"?  Has
> this been discussed with webcom?

Not that I'm aware of.

What I would like to see is a 2008 Budget from the Marketing and
Webcom to be presented to the board for approval. This really just
provides an "envelope" of funds for these committees to work with.

> I don't have any problem with the budget amounts, but I do feel, for
> the web stuff, that the committee in question should be involved in
> planning a bit so the money lines up with something they want/plan to
> do.

Absolutely - and the board needs to maintain some oversight by
approving the more detailed budget presented by the committee.

> The budget also makes it clear that the conference is the "elephant in
> the room" budgeting wise. :-)

No kidding ... and all the more reason to keep a particularly close
eye on it! :)