[Board] Voting charter members and Election of the Board of Directors

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 14 09:07:35 PST 2007

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Hi All,
> what are the plans on voting the new board of directors? I have been
> contacted off list by some but think that we should discuss this more
> openly here if not even on discuss.
> Oh, I can see that nomination starts March 2nd, so we should better
> prepare:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Proposed_Board_Election_Procedure
>
> (just joking to make us a little nervous, this is actually the link from
> last year...)
>
>> From an email by Chris (see attached) I extracted this as a
>> clarification to an earlier mail:
>
> "My thought is that this round is voting members only, since that's the
> way I sent the email, future rounds will be open to all members."
>
> How clear are we about this process now? Who is going to vote?
> Are we going to extend charter membership? (so far we needed charter
> members only to )

Arnulf,

It is my intention to prepare a proposal for a procedure for adding
charter members and doing board elections this winter/spring which I
will circulate to the board first, and then to -discuss for general
input.  I've been dragging my feet on this after declaring it a priority
several weeks ago. :-(

There is also the issue of updating the bylaws, hopefully in such a way
that they specify these procedures in the future.  I think any bylaw
update should be taken to the charter members for approval.

I assume that Chris' point earlier was about who can nominate folks to
the board?  Or perhaps it was about who can be nominated to the board?
I'm inclined for the procedure to be that anyone who is a member can be
nominated to the board, and perhaps even that they will become a charter
member if elected to the board automatically.  Though in theory board
members don't need to be charter members.