[Board] Questions about "Local Chapter Sponsor"

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jan 16 05:23:31 PST 2007

Venka,

Slight correction below:

Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Question1: What is "Sponsorship Selection" ? Could you tell me?
>
> My Answer: "Sponsorship Selection" refers to OSGeo choosing
> who will be offcial sponsors for OSGeo's FOSS4G International
> Conferences (hope i have got that answer right)

OSGeo Sustaining Sponsors have first right to select sponsorship level
at the annual FOSS4G conference. OSGeo doesn't actually choose - it is
up to the Sponsor if they wish to also sponsor the conference. The
benefit is they get to choose their sponsorship level before any other
prospective sponsors.

BTW - on this note, I got a call from Paul Ramsey about sponsorship --
Tyler are you involved in conference planning? It would be important to
ensure Paul is aware of this for his conference.

> Other questions
>
> Question2: "Local Chapter Sponsor" desires be invited all event of
> OSGeo both International and Local. What level of sponsorship
> will ensure that "Local Chapter Sponsor" will be invited as
> per their desire.
> My Answer: I am awaiting feed back from the board and Tyler.

I think almost all OSGeo events are open to all -- so there should be no
reason that "Local Chapter Sponsor" would not be invited to these
events. The only exception to this is the "Sponsor Information Exchange
Event" and "Sponsor Networking Event" that we have setup as exclusive
opportunities for our OSGeo sponsors to meet with the Board of Directors
/ ED after the annual conference.

My feeling is that we need to be careful not to dilute the benefits we
have setup for OSGeo sponsors. At the end of the day -- it is essential
that in order for OSGeo to be sustained in the form it is today that we
continue to sign-up OSGeo sponsors.

> Question 3: Can "Local Chapter Sponsor" be listed as "Official Local
> Chapter Sponsor" (with logo) on the OSGeo website.
> My Answer: I am awaiting feed back from the board and Tyler.

See above.

> I think that it is better to add a new category
> "Local Chapter Sponsors" in
> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsorship.html
> based on the feedback to this mail and summary below
> and help clarify things to people who would like
> to sponsor local OSGeo chapter activities.

This is a good idea. Perhaps we should have a statement indicating for
those interested in supporting local OSGeo Chapters to contact these
chapters directly.

Dave