[Board] Teach-in 2009

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Fri May 30 12:11:00 PDT 2008

An observation, we are shooting ourselves in the foot on this one.

Most of the people (if not all) of this proposed activity are very
active OSGeo supporters, this provides a much needed service on the
top OSGeo projects.  The organizers, in good faith, are trying to
contribute to the financial resources, marketing and quality of the
OSGeo organization.  In this stage of our development our problem is
not having our brand undermined - we need more activities like this,
we need more resources, we need (dare I say it) more corporate
sponsorship to raise the quality of the projects and their available
level of support.  We are taking a very good thing and worrying that
it might somehow be bad.

OSGeo needs to empower and enable these activities and local
activity.  OSGeo should manage by exception instead of worrying about
what 'might' go wrong.  If, at some point in time, someone tries to
subvert our intent or take advantage of our brand - that would be
cause for this level of discussion.  As Tyler mentioned, we are
punishing those supporters who have the audacity to ask for permission.

Some of the leading board members have recused themselves because they
want to participate.  I admire their integrity, but unfortunately this
is taking a bad turn because we have too many OSGeo people involved in
the proposed activity (hmmm).

To the Director and the current board members - if in your honest
opinion you think this would be good for the OSGeo I would ask that
you don't recuse yourself and drive this through (make a disclosure if
it makes you feel better).  It would be silly for Dave to defer future
training activity just to move this in the right direction.

We should have OSGeo labels all over this one....

Mark