[Board] Agenda Item - Broadband Mapping (p-o-c)

David William Bitner bitner at gyttja.org
Tue Aug 4 16:42:25 PDT 2009

Jo et al.,

I've just spent some time talking with Brian on the phone for a good while.
Brian has a lot of excitement and passion for this project that could take
OSGeo in some interesting directions.  I would be happy to help Brian along
the way and have encouraged him to continue discussion through the GeoData
mailing list and wiki.  There is much that we can do (and have done with
your letter of support) to support Brian through communication efforts
through the GeoData Committee.  If some of Brian's hopes for actually
competing for grants come to fruition, there will need to be some clear
actions by the Board itself.  I hope that Brian will be able to clearly give
some direction in his talks with you at the Board meeting this week.  I will
not be able to take part in the board meeting as I will be travelling. I
would hope the Board could at a minimum give Brian a bit of direction if any
of his ideas appear to be fully barking up the wrong tree so that he can
focus his efforts to engage the OSGeo community appropriately.

David