[Board] Motion: Migrate to OSL for primary server hosting (and $$$ for servers to do so)

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 08:47:51 PST 2009

Board,

Tyler and I have been doing some groundwork to prepare for our eventual migration off of Peer1 and onto OSU's OSL.  It is becoming clear that we've outgrown our toss-it-all-on-one-box approach with osgeo1, and the ongoing high cost of Peer1's ongoing monthly service (nearly $1k/mo to host both machines) has impeded our desire to balance things appropriately across osgeo1/osgeo2 (we haven't thought we're staying long enough to do the hard work to disentangle things).  We also have some critical services on the TelaScience blades (a number of project websites) that it would be desirable to pull onto more capable hardware.

We still want to (cheaply) control our own system destiny, however.  OSL <http://osuosl.org/services/hosting/communities> will provide us a good place to do that, but we have to provide the hardware.  A year's worth of OSL hosting is about two-and-a-half months of Peer 1 once we get the hardware.  It will be much more cost effective and easier on the cash flow once we get over the hump.

This email is actually two related motions:

- Move to migrate our primary systems from Peer1 to OSL
- Move to authorize up to $15,000 for at least two well-specified hardware systems to be supported by OSL.

My hope is that we'll have the bulk of the migration done after the NYC sprint, where a number of SAC admins should be in physical proximity.  Ideally, we would be able to shutdown Peer1 at that time (say April 15th).  The board will delegate the implementation details of system design and migration plan to SAC.  SAC should provide a migration plan and expected system design document (wiki pages) to the board by January 31st.

+1 to migrate to OSL
+1 to authorize $15k

Howard