[Board] Motion: Migrate to OSL for primary server hosting (and $$$ for servers to do so)

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 3 09:21:48 PST 2009

Just a couple notes for background of new directors.
* Peer1 is a commercial hosting provider that we rent machines from.  Their upgrade path is costly and limiting.
* Telascience machines are donated services through a university hi-tech lab partner.  We have limited control over those machines and rely on our donor a bit too heavily at times.
* OSL can provide some "smart hands" support behind the scenes with their service staff.  They are not a commercial hosting provider but do have staff that will help us - e.g. to manage a virtualisation environment, reboot machines, etc.  They are also IRC savvy, Drupal experts, and more, all which suits us well.
* Costs: the overall costs of purchasing the 2 new machines is equivalent to 1 year of Peer1 hosting.  So, budget wise, after 2010 we should saving close to $12,500 per year by moving.
* The NYC sprint info is here: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_York_Code_Sprint_2010  I'm guessing Howard means to have a "systems sprint" in there somewhere to migrate things.

Hope that helps,
Tyler