[Board] OSGL-Nottingham Univ MoU

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 00:45:47 PDT 2010

On 08/23/2010 05:15 PM, Venka wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It is nice that OSGeo has an MoU with OSGeo.

(I cc edu_discuss as this is about OSGeo Academia relations)

Venka,

The MoU text with Nottingham is not yet final nor approved by the board.
Its further preparation is, however, endorsed by the board.

> I think OGC logo can be shown on the OSGeo
> Website too so that more people will know
> about OGC-OSGeo relations.
>
> About MoU with Universities I think several
> universities would be interested in some sort
> of official tie-up (MoU) with OSGeo.

One of my comments (or at least the thinking behind it) to the draft MoU
with was that the MoU should have some beef, i.e., real commitments and
formal arrangements for cooperation (regular meetings). That usually
requires funds, thus we shouldn't sign MoUs lightheartedly. That said I
have nothing against MoUs with Universities and I'm willing to use some
of the free funds that I have (not much) to this goal.

> OSGeo could perhaps as a catalyst for several
> universities to get together as a consortium
> and have a MoU with such a consortium to
> develop, share, maintain course materials.

That is a good idea and a seed to that could be the summer school we had
here in Europe (Girona) last summer. It was a collaboration between four
universities, Nottingham included. BTW, I believe there are not yet any
definitive plans for the summer school next year.

Best regards,

Ari